Sometimes pregnancy can make sleeping a bit more of a challenge. Here are some tips to try to help you get a good night’s sleep:
- Set a fixed bedtime and wake time.
- Avoid napping during the day.
- Avoid caffeine 4-6 hours before bedtime–some people may need even longer.
- Avoid heavy, spicy, and/or sugary foods for 4-6 hours before bedtime.
- Exercise regularly but not right before bed.
- Avoid watching television for at least 30 minutes to 2 hours before bed. Don’t keep a TV in your room.
- Lower the lights in your home 2-3 hours before bed.
- Set the thermostat at a comfortable temperature.
- Block out distracting noise as much as possible.
- Associate your bed with sleep. Use the bed for sleep and sex only.
- Practice relaxation techniques before bed.
- Establish a pre-sleep ritual.
- Use comfortable bedding and get into your favorite sleep position. Try a pillow between your knees for better hip alignment and to reduce the stress on your lower back.
- Hide the clock and avoid counting the hours until you have to wake up.
- Try to reduce your stress level and clear your mind before laying down.
Here is a fun interactive tool to help optimize your sleep environment: